Monday, March 13, 2017

Cody Cooper speaks on the Effect of Domestic Violence on Children.

"I was 18 years old when I left my dad's house. I graduated high school and moved away because from the day I was born, I lived my life in fear. In fear of being hit. In fear of not being good enough." Cody Cooper, 20 year old resident of Bend, OR, gave a speech on Friday about the domestic violence he experienced growing up.

"I never told anyone. I was afraid of my own shadow for my entire childhood."
No automatic alt text available.
Photo Credit Seperating the Seas

Cooper gave his speech on Friday the 10th, speaking between songs during a concert with his heavy metal band Separating the Seas. The band performed several songs throughout the night dealing with the topics of domestic violence, parental issues, and drug and alcohol abuse. The speech was met with positive reception at the show held at Rock Hard PDX in Portland, Ore.

"My father and I, despite our estrangement, saw each other over Christmas," Cooper said. "We were civil and polite, covering our difficult past with small talk and ignoring the awkwardness. As I went to leave, however, he apologized. He got teary eyed and said he's sorry for all he's done." Cooper himself became choked up, and paused to compose himself.
Photo Credit Cody Cooper

"It wasn't until that moment that I realized how much I needed that apology. He knew he had been a horrible dad, and that he had made my life a living hell until the day I moved out. He knew I still struggled with it. But it didn't make it okay." Cooper still struggles with anxiety and depression from his childhood experiences.

"I don't know if I will ever get over this. But I forgave him. I can't go through life angry at him, wishing it never happened because it did. He's my dad." Cooper concluded this short speech before resuming the concert with a quote from Cherie Carter-Scott, "Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were."



At a glance:

No comments:

Post a Comment