Thursday, March 16, 2017

Week 8 - Journalism 216

Camden Jones
Journalism 216

Topic 1 - The first takeaway from the trip to the DH was that there are people writing stories for the DH who also write for other newspapers in the area. I always thought that a reporter can only write for their home paper, or for the Associated Press. The second takeaway was the realization of how much effort the reporters actually put into their jobs. Each person there was passionate about their work and love the thrill of writing with a dealine. That personally stresses me out so it was nice to see the other side of the coin there. The part that surprised me was how the ads were put into the newspaper. I had no clue how the ads were placed before the tour, and was intrigued at the machinery that does it.

Topic 2 - I've learned to roll with the punches from Edna's tuterage. She doesn't dwell on the criticism and attacks she receives from the public. If I were to continue writing from a journalism standpoint, and I were to cover anything political or controversial, I could face some negative reactions and I would have to just let go of any  attacks. My favorite part of the book is the beginning of the chapter on sex, because it holds so much truth about our culture. So many people have sex and reproduce when that is the last thing they should be doing. It introduces conflicts into our daily lives between couples, friends, and strangers. "Other than that, it's swell: the great American pastime." This line stood out to me because of the casual tone it adopts, and the larger issue it reflects. America's society and culture is based on sex and sexuality and is often controversial for being too promiscuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment